Sunday, January 07, 2024

BARCELONA 2023

I must start this entry by confession that I had never had the desire to visit Spain at any time in my life. The reason(s) are my own and I don't wish to disclose them. 

Yet, here I am, blogging about my visit to Barcelona, and the reason is simple: One of my closest cousins lives in Barcelona. She has been living there for more than 20 years. She went to visit her sister, who is a nun, and she ended up staying. She goes back and forth between Barcelona and Mexico City to visit my uncles (her parents) and her siblings (my cousins) at least once a year. My other cousin, the nun, now lives in Italy.

Because I never had plans to visit Spain, I never had the desire to research about the country, its cities, and what to do when visiting. And even now that I knew I was going to Barcelona, the only research I did was to find out where my Airbnb&B was located in relation to the airport. That's it. Everything else was going to happen in real time. 

The first thing I need to say about Barcelona is that it is a very clean city. I walked that city up and down and I did not find a piece of trash anywhere. Another fact about the city is that it is beautifully green, with long wide avenues and trees all over the place. The last thing I want to say is that Barcelona is very unique for you have the beach, the city, and the mountains and you can go from one extreme of the city to the other in a couple of hours. 

The time I spent in Barcelona was very enjoyable. I walked the city's streets, rode public busses, took the metro, went to the beach, hiking, expertly navigated the tourist areas, and ate food and desserts to my life's content. Of course, spending time with my cousin was the cherry on top of this trip, and also the main purpose of my visit. 


There were things I didn't do, mainly because by Day 3 of my visit I had decided Barcelona was a beautiful city and once I needed to come back with Miguel. So, I purposely left a few "city attractions" untouched, because for sure, I will be coming back. 

Next Stop: Manchester, England.

No comments: