Thursday, July 20, 2006





I was back in Mexico City for my third and last time. Once again, I spent my time with my sister and her children, going out to the theatre, dinner, shopping, and nightclubs.

Regresé a la Ciudad de México por tercera y última vez. Una vez más estuve con mi hermana y sus hijos, saliendo al teatro, a cenar, de compras y a clubes nocturnos.

Of course, no trip is complete without a little political uprising. Due to the presidential elections results and because one of the main candidates didn’t accept the results, protests and strikes started to happen in the ZOCALO. While shopping, I happened to be near el ZOCALO so I went there to have a more close and personal experience. I learned that the PAN (our version of the Republican party) candidate was unofficially named the winner but the PRD (our version of the Democratic party) candidate accused the PAN of dirty dealings. For this reason, the PRD candidate was demanding a vote-by-vote recount. Does this bring any memories?


Claro que un viaje no se completa sin algo de política. Gracias a los resultados de las elecciones, uno de los candidatos no aceptó el perder y pues se organizó mucho relajo en el ZOCALO. Mientras yo andaba de compras noté el relajo y me acerqué un poco para ver más. Descubrí que el PDR quiere que cuenten “voto por voto” mientras el PAN se corona vencedor. Según el candidato del PDR, el PAN hizo trampa. ¿Les recuerdo eso a algo que pasó aquí en el 2000?


No comments: