Wednesday, June 20, 2012

OLMEDO MUSEUM & TEC DE MONTERREY-MEXICO CAMPUS

ALL IMAGES ARE COPYRIGHTED AND THEY ARE MY PROPERTY. THEY ARE NOT PUBLIC DOMAIN
The Dolores Olmedo Museum has strong ties to Frida Kahlo. Doroles was a good friend of Frida and Diego; she was also Diego's art dealer. As a result, her house had an immense amount of paintings from both, but mainly from Diego.  The paintings and photographs are all originals but no one is allowed to take pictures. This paintings are not found in books. 


 Instead I took pictures of the outside. There dozens of peacocks all over the gardens.


To my delight, the museum also breeds the XOLOITZCUINTLI, which is the Mexican hairless dog. The type of dog Frida had at home. She loved these dogs. And after seeing them I love them too. They stay so still that you think they were statues. Very expensive, yet I still want one. 


My good friend and colleague, Armin, who is a professor at El Tecnologico de Monterrey-Ciudad de Mexico, invited me over the campus before we both went to the museum. Here are a few things I found while visiting "The Tec."



 A giant ALEBRIJE, which is a brightly Mexican folk art sculpture of fantastical creatures. 
Like everyone else in the world, students love to joke around. The sign should say, "Ruta de Evacuation" (Evacuation Route) but someone removed one single line and now it says, "Puta de Evacuation" (Evacuation Whore.) I love it!
There is a beautiful mural in one of the buildings. 

No comments: