Sunday, May 14, 2017

Dublin, Ireland 2017: Day 7

Summer in Ireland has ended!!!


Since my arrival the days have been cold but sunny. On this day, however, the sun disappeared around 2pm, and the rain came down. Since then, it has not stopped raining. It’s not pouring rain but the type of rain that slowly comes down but never stops so you get really wet without realizing it. 

An update on Jimmy’s health condition. He’s better. A doctor gave him a shot and told him to drink lots of water. He felt good enough to run the show, which was a good thing because we had a full house. I messed up ONCE! Oh, well, live theatre.

The rain affects everyone in different ways. In California, when it rains traffic almost comes to a standstill because people drive like crazy maniacs and caused a lot of accidents. Here in Dublin, well...

1. There hundreds of people trying to get from one place to another. You have the locals and you have the tourist. The sidewalks are very narrow and the city is under construction. I mean, there is construction everywhere. So, we all packed in this very narrow sidewalks trying to make it from point A to point B. And now with the rain, many people have umbrellas, making the walking even more difficult so people are not in the mood. 


I finally was able to see the light rail. I mean, I have crossed this street a lot of times but I have never seen the train until now. And don't be fooled, in the image above, the train is going away from me not coming towards me. 

Apparently Dublin has a light rail system and a metro system known as DART. The light rail system is mostly for the city center and DART is for taking people to the outskirts of the city. So far, I have not seen one single metro station anywhere... and I have walked a lot.

I guess the metro is not a big thing here and based on my experiences it is safe to say that that locals do not depend on the metro since the city is very compact. I mean, when I was in Buenos Aires, the first thing I saw was the metro, the same when I was in London, in Mexico City, and New York. But here, not so much. 


This is a statue of Daniel O'Connell, known as "Ireland's Liberator." The wide street is also named after him. I cannot get any closer to this stature because, as you can see in the image, there is construction all over. Just so you know, in order to take this picture, I had to stand in the middle of the intersection with the hopes I would not be run by a car or people. 

Because I had some time, I decided to go shopping to my favorite store. YES! Shopping! I hated it but it needed to be done.

And finally, an picture of "The House Mansion," which is the official residence of the Lord Mayor of Ireland, even his name is grandiose.

More to come...

No comments: