Friday, May 12, 2017

Dublin, Ireland 2917: Day 2



The director of the show arrived today. The poor guy had really bad jet lag so I tried to keep him awake for as long as I could. In order to do that, we walked around Dublin, went to pick up our festival passes, saw a couple of shows from the festival, walked some more, drunk coffee, had Indian food, walked some more until he couldn’t do it any more. He’s now getting ready to go to sleep. But he made it all the way through the day so I guess that is good. This day was all about being tourists. So we picked up our passes at the festival’s box office. It was nice to see this big banner announcing the festival. You can also see posters for some of the shows. Our poster goes up tomorrow. While at the box office, we met some of the actors from other shows. We talked about how tired we all were and about how excited we are being part of the festival.

I’m starting to get a little nervous. But to get used to the fact that I’m in a festival, we went to see two of the shows we could see today, both took placed at the OUTHOUSE, which is the space were I will be performing my show. The first show we saw was BLEACH, about a young man who sells his body to the best offer. I like the play a lot, the actor was also very good... attractive and with a very nice body. He’s also very young. The show came from the UK. The second show was titled, “Naked Soldier.” It was a show about coming out and negotiating sex relations. Very interesting. The actor was very handsome. This show came from Germany. And while BLEACH show the actor down to his underwear, NAKE SOLDIER show the actor completely naked at some point. 


I have been trying to take a picture of the busses here in Dublin. It hasn’t been easy but finally I was able to do it. No the best picture when talking about “estetica” but it is the best I could do. Noticed how the busses look similar to the double decker busses from the UK, except that these busses, are yellow and blue, while the UK busses are all red.


During our walk, we saw “The Olympia Theatre,” which is showing the musical ONCE. This theater is in the middle of the all the tourist action. It wasn’t easy taking this picture.

A few blocks (two, I think) “The George” gay bar is found. This bar is very famous and also has a historic pass. Drag shows every night. I’m sure Jimmy and I will end up there at some point.



Other things that I found interested were the wall graffiti or “street art” as has now being coined. Most of the street art is very beautiful, in fact, all of it is. Some is more colorful than other but all of it is interested, colorful and political. See the Orange Tangerine one, he doesn’t escape scrutiny anywhere. There was also one with many faces of him but I just won't give that much attention to such individual.

As we walked around the city, I also saw some very interesting buildings, including this one. It is a beautiful building.



Guess what? More Mexican restaurants. The first one, FROM MEXICO TO ROME, serves, Mexican and Italian food. The second one serves Mexican seafood, the third one serves burritos, and the last one is just an insult.

Last but not list, I find it interesting that my show is about “Marriage Equality” and here in Dublin I found a poster about that, very close to an acting training school, and then, some rainbow stairs... I think the city is trying to tell me that I, and my show, are very welcome in this place of 1.5 million people.

No comments: