Friday, May 12, 2017

MERIDA, THE MAYANS, AND MOSQUITOES

This summer I had the opportunity to spend three days in the beautiful city of Merida, which is located in the Yucatan State and Peninsula. 

Merida is about 21 miles from the Golf of Mexico; it is also the capital and the the largest city of the state of Yucatan. 

Unlike many of the other cities and states in the country, Merida has been influenced by the French, the British, and the Dutch. And of course, the MAYAN culture. 

Contrary to popular belief, the MAYANS still exits; they have never banished, they have never gone away, and they have never disappeared. In fact, Merida has the highest percentage of indigenous people living in the city with about 60% of its population being of Mayan descent. 

Yucatan has at least 5 different Mayan cities with many other smaller Mayan towns all over. Near Merida there are at least 3 main Mayan sites. I made the mistake to only stay for three days, which only gave me the opportunity to visit TWO Mayan sites: Chichen Itza and Uxmal.

Here are some images of me (of course) in front of some of the most important Mayan cities around Yucatán. Enjoy!















I still had a great time, mainly because I stayed at a Bed & Breakfast called VILLA VERDE, which is a establishment that caters to gay people. The owners are a gay American couple who treated me like royalty; or maybe I felt I was royalty because their bed & breakfast is a beautiful hacienda style house with gardens, patios, columns, a pool, a terrace, and everything with its original colorful tiles and much more.

I enjoyed staying there and I have even more to say about my trip to Merida. But, I have no time. Maybe I'll post some pictures later.

No comments: